Dec 8, 2009

The Finders Keepers



The Finders Keepers market is a bi-annual event showcasing the work of emerging designers and artists, (Sydney one held at Carriageworks in Everleigh).  If you like market hunts and live music this is a pretty cool thing to attend. I had only just found out about this a couple weeks ago, just in time to get myself down there on the weekend. I had read up on the work of some of the designers and artists that were going to be there, and I was quite intrigued.

No doubt some of the work was pretty impressive - an abundant variety of cute illustrations and artwork, handmade fabric covers for anything from cushions to lap tops, handmade jewellery and accessories and arty crafty bits and pieces - I also found a few goodies in each of the two fashion rooms. Although, I must say I thought to myself on a couple of occasions that the price tag was a little on the expensive side. I don't know if anyone will back me up on this but when I think of "markets", I associate it with the word "bargain?".....  

So with my once over and on some things twice over, I didn't really jump on the purchase?! Also with say earrings made from buttons or the like - well I kind of thought "hmmm this isn't anything new (as in - seen it before)?"...and I guess I had the impression that most things would be? - So yes to my regret I walked out of there all hot and bothered (did I mention it was madness with Saturday shoppers?) and empty handed.

met the duo behind the label 'Handsom', which I had also read up on prior to visiting and I was really keen to see their collection. They had some great contemporary pieces that were different and had an edge - their inspiration comes from their English heritage merging traditional tailoring with modern lines.



The pair met (and started dating) five years ago whilst studying in Leeds, England where Sam studied Fashion Design at Leeds School of Art and Henry studied Product Design at Leeds University’s School of Mechanical Engineering.

My favourite pieces were the maroon dress and the leather vest (as above)...


Another label I will keep an eye out for is 'Me & Oli' - beautiful illustrated & digitally printed clothes with a dash of vintage detailing....ooohh delicious! (you can purchase their goodies from Pigeon Ground, Camperdown!).... below are a few of their illustrations which I found pretty cool...(hail to the beard).







So - Next time I think I will be a little more cashed up and I will walk out of there with some cute little additions to my wardrobe and walls.


Confession: I made this trip before my Vintage market hunt and well did I get home empty handed? - hmmmm not so much...(oops)

x love

No comments:

Post a Comment