Jan 5, 2010

Body Image?


EEP! This whole Marie Claire Jennifer Hawkins shoot really caused a stir! All before the issue is even out (on the stands tomorrow people).

So okay, for those of you who aren't aware, Jen Hawkins is featured in a 5 page spread in the nudie for Marie Claire. To which she was also placed on the cover. The spread is to encourage positive attitude towards body image and support The Butterfly Foundation.

The Butterfly Foundation provides support for Australians who suffer from eating disorders and negative body image issues.

It has created a big clash of negative vs well the positive. And as it seems the negative is by far the winner of this argument. Women have been greatly offended that Jen Hawkins has been placed as a 'role model' if you will for eating disorders and body image issues.

"I'm not a stick figure, I thought it would be great to tell women to just be themselves and be confident" Hawkins tells the magazine.

Now I'm sure a lot of girls are thinking "um if we looked like Jen we would be confident".

The Butterfly Foundation totally support and defend the issue. Foundation general manager Julie Parker, said the photo, which apparently shows 'flaws' including a slightly dimpled thigh and a tiny crease on her waist, was intended to get the discussion on body image rolling (errr are you serious?).

Ms Parker said she hoped the shoot would help push magazines into including more natural images.

Whilst I am happy to see 'real images' on the cover of a magazine (so over air brushed images), I have to say I kind of agree with the negative feedback. It feels like more of a publicity stunt than a sincere message to women.

It's great that Jen Hawkins feels comfortable in her skin and I'm sure it might be hard work to keep a body like that. But puuhlease, do we need to be reminded that you are nearing perfection and we are not? If I was suffering from an eating disorder and Jen Hawkins was someone I was encouraged to look up to.... I would have no hope.

Now before I offend anyone, I have to say I did actually experience an eating disorder myself in my teens. So I know what it feels like to not see "good enough" in the mirror. To be blinded by insecurities and poor self worth.

I have since worked really hard to keep slim, fit and happy and I am now really happy with my body.

But I don't think I would post a photo of myself in the nudie or even in a bikini and say to girls who are struggling with weight or body image issues and say "Be confident with yourself girls, because I am"....Um No. It kind of seems a little self-righteous.

It was tough getting here and that is the truth of it. But will people know that from looking at a photo? No.

So I suppose the problem here is, Jen we don't know if you were just born perfect or really fight the battle. My guess is most girls would assume the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment