Jan 4, 2010

Holiday Mode

Eyes wide open, waiting to hear the sound of the alarm. Silence. I roll over into the warmth of my pillow wanting to sink back into the dream I no longer remember. But the fear of looking at the time disturbs me. The light seeps through the opening of my curtains and shines brightly. I realise now that I will not be able to fall back asleep.

I have woken up an hour before my alarm and today is my first day back at work.

This is 2010.

Back into the corporate world after weeks of wearing denim cut-offs more than I would like to admit was tough. It seems like nothing has really changed, the mad rush of getting a coffee in the morning came to me all too quickly (did I mention I haven't had coffee in three weeks?).

The office is somewhat on the quiet side so to utilise my time efficiently I take a moment to think about what my plans are for this year (that's efficient right?) Number one, Get a diary. Number two.......... um, Number two.....

I am still grasping the idea of entering a new year and setting new goals. Yes, GOALS. That word can be a little scary at times and most of all at a time like now. How do we enter a new year with ease?

I can proudly say that I achieved most of my goals of 2009. But I have so much more ahead of me and I have yet to lay these things out in point form (I like to make lists). Looking back on what seemed like a very conflicting year I can only make sense of what I do not want this year. But what do I want? well this is when I can use the phrase - Yesterday is history and tomorrow is a mystery.

But why the pressure? Why do we instantly enter a new year with "resolutions"? Although I stopped making those in my early twenties (after I finally quit smoking that was), I still have this subconscious urge to implement change and begin a new journey. Does it help to have plans early in the year? Does it make you feel organised? Does it make you feel as though you have your feet firmly planted on the ground? Perhaps it does, and perhaps this feeling is greater as we get older.

Uhh can I please press the Pause button!

I think this year I will take things as they come and not stress too much about deadlines. I believe sometimes the idea of too many goals lying ahead of you can cause blurry vision of getting there? And I mean why would you stress yourself out at the start of a year?

As Ne-Yo would say, Can We Chill?

Hmm yes, something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment