Oct 25, 2009

'Tis the Season?


As we SydneySiders slowly adjust to the warmer stretch of the year.... being confused with what to wear as it has been a course of searing hot days followed by dreary rain - it has made me realise that my wardrobe sense sometimes pays the price?!....

Style for Season?

Autumn/Winter- pretty straight forward - endless assortment of boots (short, mid-calf and long), scarves, pashminas, gloves, hats, leggings, socks, furs (faux of course), waist coats, coats, cardigans, and the list goes on.....
With all these options at hand, it makes personal style somewhat easy/ier - and perhaps more apparent?
Of course individual flair is a main factor in any season, but I believe it is a lot easier to play dress-ups when you have more options... you are given the opportunity to be creative and inventive with your outfit.... I personally love to use lots of layers and add personal flavour be it with a vintage jacket, belt, broach etc.

Spring/Summer - Show Some Skin! - that is the rallying cry isn't it? - Of course I love Spring/Summer, I mean high waist cut-offs, loose tanks and sandals, racerback dresses, chunky wedges, jumpsuits, maxi's, micro minis, crop tops (my staple last summer) and yes this list can go on also.... but sometimes it feels as though you can only show personal flair to a certain extent, I am quite simple when it comes to accessorising with jewellery, as I prefer one or two statement pieces - ring, watch or bracelet....... and of course with certain occasions there is also the motto to live by, which is: Less is more.....

But what about climate that is neither here nor there?
For example - as this warm-cold-hot weather currently unfolds, I notice it immediately took a toll on my sense of "style"?...... Yesterday I packed an overnight bag preparing myself for a night away from home.... setting aside my cute little ensembles for the night and the next day... as the sun was beaming outside at the time I packed accordingly, but threw in a random basic long sleeve "just in case".....
Today = Rain - As I hurry to my bag thinking "oh I don't have anything appropriate", I remember I packed my basic long sleeve that can be worn with hmmm?? ahhhh yes my vintage black boots, ok but what else?!..... oops...nada....
I got home hours later and realised I looked ridiculous?! - I was wearing a white long sleeve, cut offs and boots, eeek? This may have been ok if I had worn it with opaques (a la Kate Moss)... but no - I felt like winter, summer and autumn all in one outfit!? - Ok so this may not be as crazy as I am making it sound, but I believe that each clothing piece is generally designed for a particular season or event....if you mix these within one ensemble you can look a bit silly... (with the exception if you are a Model or part of the Fash Pack of course).
PS. Not Happy Mother Nature...

My solution? I think what it comes down to is not mixing too many things....and sticking to transeasonal pieces. Take your favourite winter elements and translate them into cool warm weather wear. Add some bright colours whether it be with outerwear or accessories.
Its a good idea to wear something that can be easily teamed with a cardigan or structured jacket, my favourite would be a vintage dress.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment